Featuring the Screwy Tuskers
plus the Screwless Tuskers
September 2004: Fourth Annual King's Cup Tournament
September 2003: Third Annual King's Cup Tournament
- Meet the 2003 Screwless Tuskers
- Pre-Event Press Release
- Schedule of Events
- Tournament Information from the
Tourism Authority of Thailand
- Screwless Tuskers Playing Schedule
- Screwless Tuskers Revised Schedule as of September 6, 2003
- Golf Models Screwless Tuskers Après Polo Attire for Hua Hin
- Team Modeling Polo Attire
- Team Mug Shots
- WEPA Features Screwless Tusker 'Beige'
- Hua Hin Tournament featured on NPR's "Only a Game"
- 2003 Screwless Tuskers featured in GAMEON Magazine
- 2003 Screwless Tuskers featured in Farang Online
June 2003: The Screwy Tusker Air Force!
May 2002: Another Tusker Team!
September 2001: Elephant Polo Comes to Thailand!
September 2001: Completion Report from the Diktel School in Nepal
After a Rigorous Search for a Model for the Screwy Tuskers Hot Air Balloon ... We Found Jan!
Every year in December I travel with my Screwy Tuskers team to the annual tournament of the World Elephant Polo Association. The tournament is held on an airstrip in Nepal, southwest of Kathmandu and just north of the Indian border.
Elephant Polo is a lot like regular horse polo. (The biggest difference is one that you can probably guess!) The governing rules for the Elephant Polo Tournament were established by the World Elephant Polo Association, which is headquarted at the Tiger Tops Jungle Lodge in Chitwan, Nepal.
There are reports here from the 1995, 1996 and 1997 tournaments. Our 1998 trip was a little unusual, but everything was back to normal in 1999 and 2000. In 2001, although we didn't field a team of players, we saw Elephant Polo come to Thailand for the first time.
Elephant Polo 2001
Elephant Polo 2000
- The Screwy Tuskers
- The Tournament
Elephant Polo 1999
- The Screwy Tuskers
- Tilman's Journal
- Photo Albums
Elephant Polo 1995-98
Elephant Polo in the Media
- From SPUR, the Magazine of Equestrian and Country Life (December 1994)
- From the front page of the Wall Street Journal (January 1998)
- Photo and short comment from ... Bizarre (1999)
- A different take on the whole thing, from Loaded (1999) ... also, Dan White, the photojournalist for the Loaded story, has a web site with some elephant polo photos in its Features section
- Bangkok TIMEOUT ran an August 2001 story in anticipation of the first tournament at Hua Hin
- The New York Times featured the Tigresses in December 2001.
Serious Elephant Studies:
Miscellaneous Interesting Links:
- Great Hotels of the World - the Screwless Tuskers' #1 source for fine lodging.
- Tickle and the Ivories - a multinational e-polo team.
- Tiger Mountain is where e-polo happens in Nepal!
- Hua Hin is where e-polo happens in Thailand!
- World Elephant Polo Association
- Tourism Authority of Thailand
- Australian Polo
- Lonely Planet Online: Destination Nepal
- There are some useful travel links on my "Useful" page.
- Thai Airways is the Official Airline of the Screwy Tuskers.
- Asian Elephants in the Wild - A WWF Species Status Report
- Elephant Consultance Home Page - Lots of interesting elephant stuff, from Sweden.
- The Himalayan Rescue Association of Kathmandu, Nepal specializes in wilderness medicine. Thomas E. Dietz, M.D., Staff Physician and Webmaster for the Association, is present at the annual Elephant Polo Tournament in case illness or injury strikes humans or pachyderms.
- Rajendra Shrestha's Nepal Home Page is an excellent source of information about Nepal.
- Yak & Yeti Hotel in Kathmandu.
- The Royal Chitwan National Park
- Chivas Regal Scotch Home Page
- J & B Scotch Home Page
- The Bangkok Post
- The Kathmandu Post
| This Elephant
Web Ring site is owned by Alf Erickson .
Do you want to join the
Elephant Web Ring?
|[Skip Prev] [Prev] [Next] [Skip Next] [Random] [Next 5] [List Sites]|